OVER 1000 COLLECTION RECORDS AND 1500 IMAGES UPLOADED TO THE GOLD MUSEUM WEBSITE
The most recent update of the Gold Museum’s online collection was completed on 30 April 2014, with excellent results. 1223 new records and 1674 new images are now online through the Gold Museum website, eHive and Trove.
There are now a total of 65,500 records available for public viewing of which 7,196 records have at least one image attached.
Data entry has focused on several collections, from recent acquisitions to previously catalogued donations that had yet to make the transition from paper to digital format.
One of the key donations in 2014 is the Bill Llewellyn OAM Photographic Collection (2014.0200 – 2014.0542), which is currently the subject of the Gold Museum’s recent exhibition, Focus on Ballarat. Objects include:
- An early model surveillance camera that was used in a bank (2014.0532)
- Photographic lab index book (2014.0495)
- Light meter (2014.0356)
Digitisation and data entry of existing records includes the Stone Collection, which consists of approximately 500 items relating to the family who owned Stone’s Style Store (also known as Stone’s Drapery Store), in Ballarat for over 100 years. Objects include costumes, photographs, documents and ephemera, such as:
- Hats owned and worn by Jessica Simon née Stone (82.1274, 82.1275, 82.1278)
- Photographs of the shop’s window display (82.1114, 82.1134, 82.1135)
- Photographs of the fashion programme on BTV6 (82.1121, 82.1127, 82.1132)
Images added to existing records include:
- Goldasaurus nugget (2006.0136), which is 4.4kg, and is the largest nugget in the Gold Museum’s collection
- Collection of items relating to the Lucas Clothing Factory, including a lingerie box (2012.0334), fashion sketches (2012.0327, 2012.0328) and stationary (2012.0333)
- Collection of Freemasonry objects (2012.0171, 2012.0172)
- World War I identification tag for Sergeant Charles Reakes (2012.0206)
- Victorian mourning locket (2012.0446)
- Ballarat South Soccer/football trophy dated 1884 (2012.0237)
Our next upload is planned for June. Please stay tuned for further details.